Recently, I've had the opportunity to do some guest spots on Radio Rhema's morning show with Aaron Ironside. I met Aaron at the Vision Network Congress earlier this year, and while we are quite different people, our church planting backgrounds and that intangible connection with a kindred spirit meant we "clicked". So he rings me up when the real heavyweights go away on overseas trips or something (I'm hoping that over time the RBG empire will pay me thousands of dollars so I can do the same).
This week the topic was thankfulness. Which was fine. Except that I had a funeral to go to. And, it was the 6th anniversary of my wife Claire's death.
Which was perfect really. Cos I am very thankful on this day, perhaps more than any other? So I gave thanks on the airwaves for Claire:
- I gave the thanks for the early years of our marriage - all those "firsts" you do together
- I gave thanks for her time of illness and the strength that brought to our relationship
- I gave thanks for her death - her body was so worn out, it was time
- I gave thanks for the testimony of her life and death - such a serenity and faith
- I gave thanks for the example of her strength and care for everyone struggling around her
- I gave thanks for the selfless way she made sure to release me to my life that would go on
- I gave thanks for a new love that is big enough to provide me space to remember
- I gave thanks for a daughter who will be one this month, who bears Claire's name although not her genes, but I hope, her character.
Claire Jones 1969 - 2002