Monday, July 03, 2006

The Israel Connundrum

A week or so ago, the locals Christian Leaders gathering for the area I pastor in, was visited by a Jewish gentleman. When I say Jewish I mean 2 things: first I mean it ethnically. Second I mean he was a true Jew, one who has recognised Christ as the Messiah. These people are commonly referred to as Messianic Jews.

Anyway, the guy works with a Messianic church in Israel and they do a great job helping Jews find Jesus as Messiah. I always find that stuff interesting.

But the reason for his visit was something different. He was there to convince us that if we really want to be blessed as pastors and churches then we need to support Israel as the modern nation which is the continuation of the Israel talked about in the Old Testament: God's chosen people. Bible believing people will understand this as truth. Now this raises many issues, some of which were pointed out to the gentleman! Not least was his lack of any knowledge on other legitimate biblical views ie he didn't have the tools to even discuss other views. Thats another story...

The point for me is this: I can't help thinking about the certainty of this man's claims as I watch the scenes unfold on TV this week. The Israeli sledgehammer cracking the peanut of a small terrorist cell. All the while the innocent casualties, people and infrastructure, mount.

I know the Jews left a trail of destruction behind them in the OT, but I just can't help but think that this is not the way God's chosen people should really behave...just a thought.

No comments: