Thursday, September 16, 2004

In Review...

Phew, what a day yesterday was...I started running at 6am and didn't stop until small group finished at 10.30pm...my mother asked me an interesting question (as I cooked her dinner): "So has it been a productive day?" Well yes and no was the answer. There were some things in my day that you just have to do: like go to the local Ministers Association to do the community thing. I got to meet a pastor or 2 and catch up with a couple of friends but otherwise it was wholly unproductive. On the other hand, I started a leadership small group over coffee at 7am which was really great, checked in with my church planting buddy Mike Yates for our fortnightly session, conducted a mentoring session with a somewhat direct flavour (!) and hung out with our Wednesday small group. But there are some things that now need some attention....urgently...

National Council meeting tonight - I've been on the Council the past 2 years and its sometime been frustrating - mainly because we haven't had the depth of people for this to be a really high calibre group. Well over the past 2 years the church has grown and we now have 18 churches - its meant that there is a greater depth of leaders to draw from and discussions have now started over the likely composition of the new Council. There are some exciting nominations! There may be a vote for the first time - previously everything has been uncontested - this is one of the few things we vote on so it will be an interesting process. It has been suggested that I will nominated for National Secretary. I am in 2 minds over this - first because I've always thought it ridiculous to have a Secretary as an office holder. Second, because of the time commitment if I am still bi vocational next year. On the other hand I do a fair bit of the secretary's job already. Something for further reflection. Maybe there will be another nominee?

On the bi-vocational issue. I'm feeling more and more desperate about this. I start a part time law contract again in 3 weeks and the dread is already starting to build. My life generally becomes unmanageable for 7 weeks. I have also agreed in principle to a full time stint for 1 month in November-December. I have real reservations about this. When I put the situation to the church leadership I left it wide open for them to say, "Don't do it! We value your sanity!" But rather, they very kindly agreed to me working 60 + hour weeks. Bottom line we need the money. I'm not going to tell you what the overdraft is right now but in recent weeks the squeeze has come on while I haven't had the law contracts and I feel like we're sinking fast! Anyways, even blogging this has made me realise a few things: 1. I'm more anxious than I thought about this ("Cast all our anxiety on Him..." 1 Peter 5:7). 2. I'm more resentful than I thought towards the church leadership on this. Neither attitude is likely to help much! I should probably delete this stuff now...maybe I edited it before posting and maybe I didn't...you'll never know...I will say this: God has never let me down financially. So, I guess I need to reflect in praise on the reality of his faithfulness!

Psalm 36

5 Your love, O LORD , reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. 6 Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the great deep. O LORD , you preserve both man and beast. 7 How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings. 8 They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights. 9 For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.

Jonesboy


No comments: