Sunday, June 13, 2004

Sunday Checkpoint

Tonight at cession we started the "Extreme Makeover" series with Week #1 "The Image Consultant". I preached one of those crossover messages where you do your best to preach a message that hits both seekers and Christians - basically about being created in the image of God and asking the question what does it mean to live like a spiritual person? It ended up being a lot more intense in the delivery than I thought it would...not sure what that meant for those listening. An interesting response from Nick the returning resident atheist - he asked me tonight whether he could help out on worship team in the future! Now while some would dismiss this out of hand, for me it was a wonderful expression of Nick's engagement of the community. We agreed to talk some more when I got back. I think he was just amazed that I quoted from Oscar Wilde and Winnie the Pooh in the same message and managed to say "eschatological" without tripping over my tongue - maybe I shouldn't use big words, but I don't think its the end of the world if I do...

I crack me up.

We also had an hilarious drama "Pagan Eye for the Spiritual Guy" - very funny satire of the Pagan Eye doing his best to lower the expectations of the Spiritual Guy - very cleverly done around the metaphor of preparing food as if it were the Queer Eye kitchen segment. Ask me about the dogfood sometime...

Well its bedtime for me...tomorrow we fly to the US...so may be offline for a day or 2...

The Kiwi Flies Again...

No comments: