Thursday, March 18, 2004

To Hymn Be the Glory

I'm not sure if my US friends have the phrase "spitting tacks" - its what I feel like doing right now! Think about it...someone will have their eye out!

I'm feeling unappreciated :( Sad old me...you can bust your a** every week helping to create a space where people can worship and all some people notice is whether you put a hymn in or not. Anyway we had one of the HP's (Hymn Police) in at the office today, making their views very clear and completely missing my point on the issue. It wasn't as if I was spouting my usual opinion - along the lines that hymns are about as useful as Latin in communicating the gospel to a largely unchurched generation (note to self - much of the Passion is in Latin yet it seems to be doing OK - maybe its time to subtitle hymns so people can understand them - not a bad suggestion - still doesn't deal with the crap music). All I was trying to communicate was that if we were going to have the team learn a new one I would prefer something that could be used year-round rather than only at Easter - didn't think that should be too hard! So suddenly this litany of complaint (should I say liturgy - it sure had a familiar ring to it) erupts completely missing my point - I guess sometimes people just want to fight with you - I'm in a good frame of mind for finishing off service prep now - funny I can't find room for a hymn suddenly...

Perhaps, I should take the tack out of my eye...

Signed with a Plagal Cadence (amen)

The Flying Kiwi

No comments: