Saturday, March 13, 2004

Pondering the Consumer Mindset

Its Saturday morning here in NZ...and I am discovering the strange world of garage sales...as one of the newly poor, I'm finding it an interesting angle on the current journey of dependence on God. For a start I'm struggling to decide whether to feel virtuous for recycling rather than helping fill another landfill somewhere in Godzone...or whether my subconscious consumer mentality means I am throwing out things that really still could be used - I mean, other people are buying this stuff to use - what makes me so different that I've decided its past its used by date. I'm sure Thompson (check out his blog) will have a wise word on this (I refuse to call him the Gooch...and thus enter the FalcoN8or's fantasy world). Then there's the avaricious part of me that's revelling in taking people's money off them and yet feels slightly annoyed that we're keeping tally of my mother's stuff that she's dumped on us, but not my sister's who is happy to get rid of some junk and help us at the same time. Would it be wrong for me to invoice my mother for labour on collection of said junk, sales commission and disposal of the inevitable remnant of plaid skirts and tired shoes? My financial consultant has some advice for me which I'll think some more on as I manfully read the Sports section and watch the cricket while playing backyard retailer. He never made much money but has some interesting ideas - don't worry about tomorrow, share with those in need, store up treasure in heaven, love God and your neighbour - not your cash...

Might skip the Financial section...

The Jonesboy

No comments: