Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Art Imitating Life

So last night was Monday, which means its Flight of the Conchords time. Overall, the episode was a bit average - although some good moments as usual. But one stuck out to me as a fellow "Bret(t)". I speak of course of the American inability to hear the word "Brett" as anything other than "Britt". As Dave Barry once put it:

Americans who travel abroad for the first time are often shocked to discover that, despite all the progress that has been made in the last 30 years, many foreign people still speak in foreign languages

Or at least they have accents closer to the mother tongue!

So Bret is sitting talking to the girl (she's so hot she's making me sexist) and he tries to introduce himself. "I'm Bret" "Brit?" "No Bret" "Brit" "No b-r-e-t"

This is my life in America (except with an extra "t".

2 comments:

Ken said...

it's no worse than you calling me "keen" or "kin" a thousand times, mr. jones...

and we haven't even STARTED talking about my LAST name...

Keen DiPeele

BJ said...

But "kin" and "keen" are just different pronunciations of your actual name "ken". Britt is a whole different name!

As for "de peal" - you should no better than to have one of those foreign sounding names :)