Tuesday, October 03, 2006

WiSPA or Shout?

The World Society for the Protection of Animals is lobbying the UN for a Universal Declaration for the Welfare of Animals at the United Nations. They are trying to collect 10,000,000 signatures to demonstrate to the UN that this is something people want. I tried in vain to find something on their website (the international one was down) that would help me understand what they're seeking - for example I don't think its a good thing to treat animals cruelly...but I am inclined to continue eating some of them, which some would say is cruel! Best I can ascertain it is about recognising that animals do feel pain and can suffer and that whether animals are being used for food, transport, protection, labour or companionship, this should be recognised by law. I can support that so I signed the petition. Check it out for yourself.


No comments: