Wednesday, April 28, 2004

On and on and on...

This has become the most fascinating blog on the planet...a new count very day or so....for those following the epic tale of my essay progress - I have passed the 3000 word mark - now comes that difficult decision: how much is enough? The answer of course is: just enough (as a wise friend reminded me recently). So I am now working on getting to just enough - which I figure in a 3-5000 word essay is about 4,500. It is the most boring crap I have ever written (this blog excluded) but I cannot wait to be done with this whole Masters. It has been a huge learning experience but I really am over it. I can't wait for the inevitable letter from our National Board of Ministerial Development asking me to start some real study now...I think I need a break. I'm pretty sure I can keep them on the run for a while...

On that note - here's my Master plan for never getting ordained but staying a pastor for the rest of my useful life! I took the unusual step of telling my candidate interview panel that I didn't believe in ordination - I see plenty of evidence in scripture for leadership being "set apart" to lead for a certain season, but I don't see any justification for life time membership of the professional christian club. Other than of course a life time of calling lived out. But I just don't see how people who step out of a formal ministry appointment should nevertheless be considered ordained. So because my church will treat me as a pastor if I am "licensed" - on the ordination track and in part time ministry/study - I figure I can keep that part time study going for the next 30 years!

I think I'll tell them I want to study through a Baptist college...that should keep the discussion going for a while so I can have a break...

Right, if procrastination is a sin then...well you know what I mean if you're reading this...GET A LIFE!

Pin-up Kiwi

PS Comments welcome on whether I should respond to Deurty's provocative recent postings with a little photo gallery of my own...or should I turn the other cheek?

PPS I want credit for extra traffic you'll receive now D from the 2 people who read my blog...

No comments: